Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+47
Singular_trafo
runaway
Scorpius
Department Of Defense
PhSt
Begome
Tsavo Lion
flamming_python
sepheronx
TMA1
Broski
wilhelm
The-thing-next-door
Kiko
kumbor
Arrow
LMFS
teh_beard
Lurk83
Podlodka77
Rodion_Romanovic
miketheterrible
Dima
Singular_Transform
caveat emptor
Mindstorm
lyle6
RTN
Navy fanboy
PapaDragon
Sujoy
JohninMK
George1
Krepost
marcellogo
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
magnumcromagnon
ALAMO
Big_Gazza
Arkanghelsk
Mir
walle83
mnztr
lancelot
limb
GarryB
Isos
51 posters

Russian Navy: Status and News #6

Arrow

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 24 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #6

Post  Arrow Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

The Russians were working on the MHD drive. Also Japan, which has a surface ship with this drive, Yamato 1. However, this drive is inefficient. You would need superconductors at normal temperatures. It's a long way. It is doubtful that China or the USA will be pioneers of new exotic drives for submarines.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Navy: Status and News #6 - Page 24 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #6

Post  GarryB Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am

Sounds like an interesting idea Russia might follow on later.

Sounds like bullshit... using lasers to boil water so the sub runs underwater like some tea kettle?

How is super cavitating bubbles of boiling water supposed to be quiet... especially at a rate that would move several thousand tons of submarine...

When I was a kid my brother had a little tin boat with a coil pipe running in from the back and back out the back end. You put a fuel block under it and set it on fire and bubbles of steam came out the rear pushing it forward. The boat was super light weight and it was very noisy... the coil of tubing was under the water level so water kept flowing in and came rushing out as it boiled. It didn't ever go very fast...

Even if you ionised the water and could push it through the tube with a magnetic field I am not sure you could actually get it to move a volume of water at a speed high enough to propel a submarine that weighs over 1,000 tons.

Sounds like bollocks to me.

Edit: or maybe it is the west clutching at straws to look for technology that is several generations ahead of everything they are working on now because everything they are working on now doesn't work and is inferior to what the Russians and Chinese are working on.

Some super new made up technology that will beat everything without proof or evidence in the hope that the Russians and Chinese waste time and money testing it themselves too...

The-thing-next-door and Mir like this post

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:14 pm