Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+18
medo
Tsavo Lion
George1
Cowboy's daughter
airstrike
theking950
JohninMK
OminousSpudd
sepheronx
max steel
Werewolf
nemrod
TR1
Stealthflanker
Cyberspec
GarryB
ahmedfire
Admin
22 posters

Israel Air Force: News

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 Empty Re: Israel Air Force: News

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 pm

It is being alleged by a whole range of analysts that this shoot-down could not have happened without Russian help. It required that the anti-aircraft personnel break Israeli radar jamming. Since Russia supplies Syrian anti-aircraft weaponry, and Russian technicians maintain it and train their Syrian colleagues, a Russian hand here is highly likely. ..If Russia was involved in the shoot-down, it may be a sign of Vladimir Putin’s growing determination to assert the prerogatives of the Russian sphere of influence in Syria. That sphere is being challenged by Israel in the southwest, Turkey in the north, and by the United States in the east. The targeting of the Israeli F-16 may in part have been intended to signal to Turkey and the US that intervening in Syria is going to be associated with heightened costs.
    https://www.juancole.com/2018/02/russia-syria-israeli.html

Tit for Tat- the Russian Su-25 was shot down by US allied rebels. Lately, Israel has become a torn on the Russian side in Syria.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:55 pm

However we look at it, the most modern F-16I was shot down by old S-125 Pechora-2M (SAM-3). With well trained crews even those old SAMs are able to break the most modern israeli ECM complexes. Be Russian technicians there or not, one thing is sure. If Russians manage to break radar jamming from the most capable western ECM with this old complex, than there is a real question, what western aviation could do against modern Russian IADS. This is very painful massage to US as well. US and NATO F-16 are not as capable as F-16I and similar could be said for F-15I.

Post  Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

medo wrote:However we look at it, the most modern F-16I was shot down by old S-125 Pechora-2M (SAM-3). With well trained crews even those old SAMs are able to break the most modern israeli ECM complexes. Be Russian technicians there or not, one thing is sure. If Russians manage to break radar jamming from the most capable western ECM with this old complex, than there is a real question, what western aviation could do against modern Russian IADS. This is very painful massage to US as well. US and NATO F-16 are not as capable as F-16I and similar could be said for F-15I.

Over 100 intrusions into airspace during last 3 years and like few hundred missiles fired, statistic was working for them tbh there lol.

If judging by remnants of missiles fired, like 20 were launched aganist that fleeing F-16I, no ECM in the world is that capable.

Thing is Israel is having turkey hunt over Syria for years, downing one F-16 is like... really not big deal.

We shot down F-117A, oh what a great deal was it while we got bombed for 2 months more without shooting down a pigeon.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:04 am

medo wrote:US and NATO F-16 are not as capable as F-16I and similar could be said for F-15I.
    How do u know that? Even if so, other gear can be used to help with ECM. The US detected Israeli planes on a dry run in Iranian airspace which then prompted Obama admin. to put pressure on Israelis not to attack Iran, before the nuclear deal was signed. https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/report-u-s-officials-detected-israeli-planes-in-iranian-airspace-in-2012-1.5412659
    We saw these movies before: the U-2, F-117, Turkish F-4, V-22, & Sentinel UAV were all shot down over less sophisticated hostiles!
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 am

Militarov wrote:
    medo wrote:However we look at it, the most modern F-16I was shot down by old S-125 Pechora-2M (SAM-3). With well trained crews even those old SAMs are able to break the most modern israeli ECM complexes. Be Russian technicians there or not, one thing is sure. If Russians manage to break radar jamming from the most capable western ECM with this old complex, than there is a real question, what western aviation could do against modern Russian IADS. This is very painful massage to US as well. US and NATO F-16 are not as capable as F-16I and similar could be said for F-15I.

Over 100 intrusions into airspace during last 3 years and like few hundred missiles fired, statistic was working for them tbh there lol.

If judging by remnants of missiles fired, like 20 were launched aganist that fleeing F-16I, no ECM in the world is that capable.

Thing is Israel is having turkey hunt over Syria for years, downing one F-16 is like... really not big deal.

We shot down F-117A, oh what a great deal was it while we got bombed for 2 months more without shooting down a pigeon.

Syria should have bought more cruise missiles and hit Airport from where Israeli fighters come. Same way as Israel does.

Post  Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 am

Isos wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Syria should have bought more cruise missiles and hit Airport from where Israeli fighters come. Same way as Israel does.

In a week Israelis would be in Damascus i am afraid in that case.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 am

R Israelis any better at defending against CMs than Syria & Russia?
    Their boat was hit off Lebanon by a C-802 11 years ago.
    https://www.haaretz.com/1.4857613 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Hanit
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 am

Militarov wrote:

I think you miss one important fact here, that in Syria there was a war against terrorists and that terrorists occupy a large parts of territory around Damascus, what mean Syrian air defense network was destroyed. Syria have to rebuild and retrained their air defense, when they liberate enough territory around Damascus. They are still far from pre war capabilities, but they are improving. It was easy for Israel to make intrussion over region, where air defense practicaly doesn't exist. terrorist are fighting for Israel, they are their allies and at the beginning of war, terrorists intensively attack air defense sites to destroy them.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm

medo wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

I think you miss one important fact here, that in Syria there was a war against terrorists and that terrorists occupy a large parts of territory around Damascus, what mean Syrian air defense network was destroyed. Syria have to rebuild and retrained their air defense, when they liberate enough territory around Damascus. They are still far from pre war capabilities, but they are improving. It was easy for Israel to make intrussion over region, where air defense practicaly doesn't exist. terrorist are fighting for Israel, they are their allies and at the beginning of war, terrorists intensively attack air defense sites to destroy them.
    As this event shows, as Syrian air defences improve (practice makes perfect as they say), with both their own increased coverage and the integration of the RuAF radars, the IAF is finding it more dangerous to enter Syrian air space. The IAF is trying to increase its chances by hitting Syrian air defence sites when it can and we have no idea what ECM assets they deployed on these raids or how many Syrian SAMs were fired against how many IAF aircraft.

I am sure that the IAF would not regard however many aircraft were lost or damaged, even if it was just one, as acceptable.

The problem they have now is that they have poked the Iranians with a stick and seriously boosted the Syrians confidence such that even launching stand off weapons from outside Syrian air space will come with increased risks.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm

I think it was 20 missiles against a group of F-.. fighters. So it should be 2 or 3 missiles per fighter which is totally normal. I think it was the typical tactical of Soviet air defence forces to fire two missiles at one target, one missile above the target and one under the target so that jaming and evasive manoeuvres can't work on both missiles. And here we are talking about a modern f-16 with modern ECM against old maybe modernized system. So it is good.

They also intercepted lot of cruise missiles while F-16 were most of the time unreachable.

But they probably used Russian network of modern radars so it shows a real impact of Russian technology. The last time they manage to shot down an israeli plane was 30 years ago.

And now Israel knows very well that going against a S-300 in Iran won't be like going against the old Syrian systems.

Post  Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Isos wrote:

I think it was 20 missiles against a group of F-.. fighters. So it should be 2 or 3 missiles per fighter which is totally normal. I think it was the typical tactical of Soviet air defence forces to fire two missiles at one target, one missile above the target and one under the target so that jaming and evasive manoeuvres can't work on both missiles. And here we are talking about a modern f-16 with modern ECM against old maybe modernized system. So it is good.

They also intercepted lot of cruise missiles while F-16 were most of the time unreachable.

But they probably used Russian network of modern radars so it shows a real impact of Russian technology. The last time they manage to shot down an israeli plane was 30 years ago.

And now Israel knows very well that going against a S-300 in Iran won't be like going against the old Syrian systems.

We do not know aganist what fighters they launched them, seems like 30ish were launched in total... that is not good statistic i am afraid as Israel has near 400 fighters.

Yes, we launch them in pairs but due to limitations on certain systems we have to use one type of interception per launch i am afraid.

There is no such thing as Russian network of radars in Syria, there are just Syrian radars that probably got fixed by Russians in recent years as many were out of spare parts.

In Serbia we launched nearly 800 SAM-s and we hit 2 aircraft, for most part we just managed to break larger formations and well.. that was it, targets were still reached, destroyed... and repeat.

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am

Militarov wrote:
    Isos wrote:

We do not know aganist what fighters they launched them, seems like 30ish were launched in total... that is not good statistic i am afraid as Israel has near 400 fighters.

Yes, we launch them in pairs but due to limitations on certain systems we have to use one type of interception per launch i am afraid.

There is no such thing as Russian network of radars in Syria, there are just Syrian radars that probably got fixed by Russians in recent years as many were out of spare parts.

In Serbia we launched nearly 800 SAM-s and we hit 2 aircraft, for most part we just managed to break larger formations and well.. that was it, targets were still reached, destroyed... and repeat.

Nothing surprising. Serbia against Europe and USA, destroyed Syria against Israel with latest US technology ... You can't do anything in these situations.

If it was US system from the 60s and 70s against Su-35 and mig-35 the result wouldn't be better.

There are talks of at least 2 F-16 and one F-15 so probobaly another 1 that was with him so minimum 4 fighter. And probably more like Israel do everytime.

And if you really look at statistics, in these situations, they are not bad at all. Soviet systems proved to be good in environment totally controled by the western overwhelming forces.

Loosing a F-117 against Serbia is something. No matter what US said, they lost something they should have never lost.

And Russians get a big piece of the F-117 for their own stealth programs just like Chinese which allow them to have stealth Kh-101 that could be critical to western forces.

Russian have Pantsir and Tors to defend themselves against Tomahawks, what does US and european countries have to protect against a swarm attack of Kh-101 and Iskanders ? Nothing so it will probably be one missile one target. Russia has the potentiel to attack deep into NATO. Something Serbia never had. When you only defend you lose. No matter how long you sustain the Attack. That's why cruise missiles and ballistical missiles are good. You can Attack deep and powerfully the enemy.

Syria managed to destroy popey missiles with russian technology. The Attack of tomahawks against the airbase was a total failure and it was proved.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Looks like the pilot who ejected lived, unless he was the pilot from another downed but unacknowledged aircraft.

Behind The News
    ‏ @Behind__News
    6h6 hours ago

✅The IAF pilot who was injured on Saturday when he ejected the F16, left the intensive care unit and was transferred to Rambam's surgical department. His condition is defined as good. Commander of the IAF:"You not only saved your own life but also that of the Navigator, Major A"
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Does someone have news about israeli air force firing 4 pilots involved in the downing of the f-16. I just this on an article but it looks like its not a serious source. They say they didn't use evasive manoeuvres and ECM and one f-15 was touched but survived by an emergency landing.
    nemrod
    nemrod

Post  nemrod Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Isos wrote:

There are talks of at least 2 F-16 and one F-15 so probobaly another 1 that was with him so minimum 4 fighter. And probably more like Israel do everytime.

It is not only a mere talks, it is facts. Issrael lost several airplanes, and this engagement maybe US. See my post on the appropriate topic.

Isos wrote:
    Soviet systems proved to be good in environment totally controled by the western overwhelming forces.

They are far more effective than U could imagine, and in all areas.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:25 pm

First operational flight of F-35 in Israel

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3126612.html

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Israel Air Force introduced a sign for the aircraft participating in the operation to destroy the Syrian reactor in 2007

The original taken from a colleague oleggranovsky in the Israeli Air Force introduced a sign for the aircraft participating in the operation to destroy the Syrian reactor

After 11 years from the date of the bombing of the Syrian nuclear reactor (night 05 / 06.09.07, operation "Mi-Huts le-Kufsa", also "Nigun Shaket" in the Air Force), the Air Force introduced a new sign for the aircraft participating in the operation. Get it F-15I ("Raam") 69th Squadron and F-16I ("Sufa") of the 253rd and 119th squadrons. Two days ago, on 06.09.18, the signage ceremonies were held in parallel in the 69th and 253rd squadrons, at the bases of Khatserim and Ramon, and on September 14, 1818 another ceremony was to be held in the 119th squadron on the basis of Ramon.

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 5871473_original

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 5871225_original

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 12

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 RuvDYjUfapnQwaU_rtMXCDO7M7IQkBkSCpvxsDwsb3P22qMNRNuB13J1ipIQjYEe2kIR4p79cBH0QXDCJqFdTHtkVQrBID3ZyjV2Nn51tEs

Appendix: symbols of victories and operations on Israeli aircraft.

Combat aircraft and helicopters of the Air Force of Israel, having wins in air battles and interceptions, receive special identification marks in the form of symbols of those countries to which the shot down aircraft belonged. Those. Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon (the interception of the UAV "Hezbollah", for example, was denoted by Lebanese signs). There are special signs for other operations. Ordinary bomber and reconnaissance flights do not count, but in the case of special operations, planes receive unique signs for these operations.

A number of well-known examples:

- 4 aircraft P-51D Mustang from the 116th Squadron "Flying Wing" for the participation of these machines in the operation of cutting telephone cables at the beginning of the war in 1956 (29.10.56).
    - 8 F-16 for participating in the operation to bomb the Iraqi nuclear reactor in 1981 (07.06.81, operation "Opera" or operation "TAMUZ").
    - "Phantoms" for the bombing of Syrian air defense in Lebanon in June 1982 (09.06.82, operation "Artsav-19").
    - F-15, bombing the PLO headquarters in Tunis in 1985 (01.10.85, Operation Regel Etz).
    - Transport-landing helicopters in the past received signs for participation in special rescue operations, for example, evacuation to hospitals of women in childbirth and search and rescue at sea.

F-16A B/N 107 7 - 6.5 shot down Syrian aircraft and the bombardment mark of the Iraqi nuclear reactor in 1981
    Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 Opera_operation

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 F-16-Netz-107-fighter-and-killmarks-01

F-15D B / N 455 - 1 downed Syrian aircraft and a sign for the bombing of the PLO headquarters in Tunis in 1985.
    Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 53904303

F-16C B/N 364 - a sign for the interception of the UAV "Hezbollah"
    https://2010-uploaded.fresh.co.il/2010/04/21/14586838.jpg
    Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 14586838

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 26373838

Sign of operation attacks of Syrian air defense in Lebanon on 09.06.18.
    Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 AntiSAMStrike

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3333923.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Anti-radar missiles in the Israeli Air Force

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3475992.html
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 am

Israel’s company Airsom Ltd. has received Ukrainian-made Kolchuga-M passive radar system, according to ImportGenius website.

According to the import/export tracking website ImportGenius, Israel has received new-generation long-range passive radar complex, called the Kolchuga-M.

The notice by the ImportGenius said that in March 2018, a subsidiary of the State Company “Ukrspetsexport” State Enterprise “Ukroboronservis” sold to the Israeli company Airsom Ltd. (P.O.B. 32307 Tel-Aviv 6132201, 5 Kineret St. Bnei-Brak) passive radar system Kolchuga-M.

The Kolchuga is a passive electronic support measures makes it possible to spot ground and surface targets and trace their movement within a radius of 600 km and air targets at the 10 km altitude – up to 800 km, which makes an effective early warning air defense system.

The Kolchuga station is equipped with five meter-, decimeter-, and centimeter-range aerials, which provide for high radio sensitivity within a 110dB/W – 155 dB/W swath, depending on the frequency.

According to the GlobalSecurity.org, the 800-km detection range has been achieved only by the Ukrainian Kolchuga. The best the U.S. AWACS can do is 600 km, while the ground-based complexes Vera (Czech Republic) and Vega (Russia) can reach out up to 400 km – half what the Ukrainian complex can reach. The Kolchuga’s lower limit of the working frequency range is 130MHz and is the lowest of all analogs. For the AWACS it is 2,000 MHz, for the Vera it is 850MHz, for the Vega it is 200MHz.

The Kolchuga mobile passive electronic long-range monitoring radar system could be used during exercises of the Israeli Air Force.

https://defence-blog.com/army/israel-received-kolchuga-m-passive-radar-system.html

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 800px-Independence_Day_Parade_-_Flickr_-_Kerri-Jo_80-min
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Israeli Aeroballistic Rocket

As reported by the web site thedrive.com in the material "Israel Turns Ballistic Missile Surrogate Into Air Launched Bunker-Busting Missile", at the Aero India 2019 aerospace exhibition held from February 20 to February 24, 2019 in Israel, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems for the first time demonstrated the air-ballistic air-launched missile Rocks. A spokesperson for Rafael said the missile already had several successful test launches from the Lockheed Martin F-16I (Soufa) fighter aircraft of the Israeli Air Force, and the testing of the system continues.

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 6578300_original
    Prototype of an Israeli aeroballistic missile Rafael Rocks on the hanger of a Lockheed Martin F-16I fighter (Soufa) Israeli Air Force (c) Rafael

Supposedly, Rocks was created on the basis of the well-known Israeli ballistic target missile Black Sparrow developed by Rafael, used in Israel for testing missile defense systems (Black Sparrow is also launched from an aircraft). At the same time, Rocks is equipped with a guidance system for the latest modifications produced by the Rafael SPICE family of controlled aircraft bombs, including an inertial-satellite correction unit and a combined thermal imaging and television homing head with datalink control. The homing head uses Rafael’s original technology for memorizing target imagery.

The main characteristics and firing range of Rocks are not disclosed, the estimated launch range from a great height is several hundred kilometers. Rocks missile can be equipped with penetrating or high-explosive fragmentation warhead.

The F-16I can carry up to four Rocks.

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 6578633_original

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3542118.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:40 pm

115th Israeli Air Force Squadron - enemy imitation squadron

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 Ax9m2zp94XYLktEn-rhviyEuB-Oko7I16lMLRvnMTX9zfnVTS0t24MiQdgngGY26itKUy2Gr9mqKF1LpSJJfLvbTr553GBnEamJIaTrLQ7s

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 95584399

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 Ax9m2zp94XYLktEn-rhviyEuB-Oko7I16lMLRvnMTX9zfnVTS0t24MiQdgngGY26B4LMJmnngK-ZVs3oFrYVTn43QHZSOMWRb--50H0vhsQ

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 53014167

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 39219551

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 31142357

Israel Air Force: News - Page 3 99653092

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3580723.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Israeli Air Force creates special operations aviation wing

In the 80s. The Special Operations Forces (MTR) of the Air Force [Israel] were united under a single command - “Mifkedet Ha-KAAM”, KAAM - “Kokhot ha-Avir ha-Miyuhadim” (this happened on the Air Force website later, in the early 90's, after the war in the Gulf of 1991). At the head of KAAM was an officer with the rank of colonel; this headquarters was located in Tel Nof. At the same time, the units included in the KAAM were deployed at various air force bases and were organizationally subordinate to their commanders. I already wrote about KAAM in the article "Deep Command and Special Operations AOI System". It said KAAM was responsible for Shaldag (Unit 5101, established in 1976), Rescue and Rescue Unit 669 (1974), Forward Landing Unit 5700 (1972), in the past also the Special Air Force Monitoring Unit ( unit 5707, existed in 1974-2003).

Yesterday, 07/12/20, the KAAM headquarters was disbanded, and the 7th air wing ("Kanaf 7") was created in its place - the wing of the Air Force MTR. It is located on the base of the Palmakhim Air Force (BAHA-30), and is also headed by a colonel (A., the last chief of KAAM headquarters since 2019, became the first commander of the 7th wing). The wing creation ceremony was held at Palmahim base with the participation of the Air Force commander, Major General Amikam Norkin, commander of the 7th wing, Colonel A. and others.

The AOI website reports that the new wing unites the ground special forces of the Air Force, including:

• Airborne Commando Unit 5101 Shaldag;

• rescue unit 669;

• forward landing unit 5700;

• reconnaissance unit for the needs of KAAM (“Modiin le-KAAM” or “Yehidat Modiin Yehudit”) - a new unit that will be created as part of the wing at the base of Palmahim;

• KAAM school - a single school for the training of fighters 5101, 669 and 5700, due to open in 2022; the creation of the school will allow 5101, 669 and 5700 to focus on operational issues, transferring all educational tasks to the school.

So far, only 5101 were based in Palmachim. 669 was based in Tel Nof, 5700 based in Nevatim. As part of the creation of the wing, command over 669 has already passed from the headquarters of Tel Nof to the headquarters of the 7th wing, and command 5700 should be transferred there in the future, from the headquarters of Nevatim. Judging by these formulations, physically 669 and 5700 remain at their old bases, at least for now.

In addition, at the headquarters of the Air Force will be created:

• in the Shock Department (“Makhleket Hatkafa”), the KaAM Direction will be created (“Anaf KAAM”);

• in the Training area for interaction (“Anaf Imunim Meshulyavim”), the KAAM Sector (“Mador Imunei KAAM”) will be created.

The wing was created in order to strengthen the MTR of the Air Force on the one hand and save money on the other. The unification of units within one wing will allow closer and better cooperation, the exchange of knowledge between units. Wing troops will be promoted to the operational and training headquarters of the Air Force, which will help integrate the tasks of the wing into the general tasks of the Air Force.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4085533.html

Finty likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Israeli Air Force development plans for the coming years

The original was taken from a colleague oleggranovsky in the Israeli Air Force Development Plans for the coming years 08/13/2020 data on the operational activities of the [Israeli] Air Force in the north were published. Moreover, they appeared on various central information sites almost simultaneously and with reference to the IDF [Israel Defense Forces], but neither the Air Force website, nor the IDF website has this data. But on that day, both the Air Force website and the IDF website published data on plans to develop the [Israeli] Air Force for the coming years.

I must say that in recent years, such articles have appeared regularly, both with short-term plans and long-term ones, as well as with the results of a year and even a decade. For example:

Modernization of the Israeli Air Force (02.06.18) ;
    The Air Force sums up the results of the year and makes plans for 2019 (01/02/19) ;
    The Air Force sums up the results of the year and makes plans for 2020 (12/14/19) ;
    The Air Force sums up the results of the decade (01/02/20) .

So, in the last month, the commander of the Air Force, Major General Amikam Norkin, summed up the results of the staff work to improve the effectiveness of the Air Force of their training for the coming years. Some of the points of the program are designed for a decade ahead, others are shorter-term. The coronavirus pandemic, the deteriorating economic situation in Israel and in the world, as well as a general view of the strategic situation in the Middle East played an important role in the program. As a result, it was decided to accelerate a number of plans for the future and implement them in the coming years. The common goal of all these steps is to increase combat effectiveness (Avoda Mivtsayit Khazaka) on the one hand, save money and use resources more efficiently (Hityailut ve Mitsui Mashavim) on the other.

The program includes:

Creation of the 7th air wing ("Kanaf 7") - a wing of the Air Force MTR. Officially opened on 12/07/2020 at Palmachim Air Force Base, see separate article .
    The disbandment of the 117th squadron (F-16C Block 30) at the Ramat David base in October 2020. This was announced back in May and I already wrote about it, but there is also a new one: the Air Force is transferring two F- squadrons to this base. 16C / D Block 40 from Hatzor Base, 101st and 105th. This means that all Barak aircraft of the Air Force (F-16C / D) will be concentrated in Ramat David, consisting of 101st (F-16C Block 40), 105th (F-16D Block 40) and 109- 1st (F-16D Block 30) squadrons (there is also a number of F-16C Block 30 in the 115th "Red" Air Force Squadronat the Uvda airbase, but this is a training, not an operational unit). This step will strengthen the air force in the north of the country, near the main potential theaters, and on the other hand, it has an important step in terms of cost savings - the logistics and maintenance of Barak will be concentrated on one base.
    The Hatzor base will lose all combat aircraft squadrons. The Air Force is transforming this base into a "UAV and reconnaissance base" ("Basis KATMAM ve-Isuf Modiin"). In July 2019, the 100th Light Transport Squadron was relocated here , one of the main tasks of which is visual reconnaissance. The 420th Squadron of combat aircraft simulators is also located here. As far as is known, there are no UAV squadrons at the base yet, but judging by what has been said, it is planned to open them in Hatzor. The Air Force website emphasizes that already 75% of the Air Force's operational flight hours are performed by UAVs.
    The 193rd Marine Helicopter Squadron will receive a Sea Hawk (ie SH-60F Sea Hawk ) and will be relocated from Ramat David to Palmachim. Now in Palmachim are the 123rd and 124th squadrons of UH-60 Black Hawk ("Yanshuf") Air Force helicopters (that is, almost all helicopters of this type, except for a small number at the Flight School at Hatzerim base). As in the case of the Barak, this step will allow the logistics and maintenance of the Yanshuf (including its sea version) to be concentrated on one base.
    The Air Force Aviation School, based at BAHA-21 (Haifa), will move to the south, in connection with the desire of the Air Force to concentrate the training process of the Air Force personnel at one base. This wording could imply the base of Ovda, where there are already 3 different schools of the Air Force (Aviation, Air Traffic Control and Officer). However, the IDF website talks about BISLAH-314 and the Mahane Mashavim base. This base is the location of the Air Defense School (BISLA-883), and BISLAKH-314 is an Air Force infantry school near Hatzerim base, but organizationally subordinate to BISLA-883. The Air Force Aviation School also trains air defense technicians, i.e. its transfer to this base will facilitate the practice of working with air defense systems. However, the bulk of the cadets are aircraft technicians, among other things, working with real aircraft (albeit usually decommissioned), hence the transfer of the school to a base that does not have an airfield is incomprehensible.
    The air defense went to an all-Israeli continuous mode of operation, with a high level of integration and central control. The Air Force continues to strengthen its air defense, however, to improve efficiency, it was decided to reduce the Patriot air defense missile system to batteries in central points (Atarim Merkaziim), and the 168th wing (the air defense logistics support wing, the so-called Kanaf ha-hiarchut) will be transferred from Palmachim base to Hazor base. The IDF website adds another item here: the closure of the headquarters of the 137th division (the Iron Dome missile defense system). This means that the number of batteries will not be reduced, but the 2nd division of these systems, created just 3 years ago , as an organizational unit will be disbanded.
    The Air Force Air Traffic Control School - opened on 07.19.20 at the Ovda base, see a separate article . This step will maximize the concentration of all courses of air controllers and air traffic controllers in one place and relieve the operational units from the need to deal with these issues.
    Improving pilot training - the Flight School has adopted Lavi (M-346) aircraft, new training methods, and simulators.
    Additional sources (ynet, maariv, makorrishon, walla, mako) provide the following information:

Air Force budget - about 5.5 billion shekels out of 32 billion IDF budget;
    the headquarters of one of the Patriot divisions will be closed;
    the transfer of the Air Force Aviation School to the Hatzerim base (which looks more plausible than the Mahane Mashavim);
    training at the flight school will continue for 3 years, as it is now, but the overall path of pilot training from the moment of graduation to the beginning of participation in operational activities will be reduced by half a year (i.e., the total path will decrease from 5 to 4.5 years);
    the volume of training on simulators will increase;
    academic training within the Flight School will be shifted towards engineering; what this means is not explained; now future pilots can choose one of 4 specialties - politics and power ("Politics ve-Memshal"), economics and management ("Kalkalya ve-Nihul"), mathematics and computers ("Mathematics ve-Madei ha-Makhshev") and information systems ("Nihul Maarehot Meida"); perhaps the 1st and 2nd options will be removed in favor of other engineering specialties;
    large air force exercises in Germany will soon be held - 2 squadrons of F-16, as well as tankers and AWACS aircraft, will be deployed in this country; a major exercise will be held in Italy in 2021;
    The Air Force is taking steps to mobilize women on the flight course; 85 women participated in the final exams for admission (Gibush) this year, up from 55 three years ago;
    Captain S. will become the first female pilot of the Air Force F-35I;
    the choice of a new helicopter (CH-53K or CH-47) will be made before the end of the year; the option of additional purchase of V-22 is still possible;
    4 KS-46A tanker aircraft will be purchased (previously it was about 2 with an option for 6); the first will arrive in Israel in 2024;
    2 squadrons of new combat aircraft will be purchased (25 aircraft per squadron) - the F-15X squadron (previously it was the F-15IA plus the modernization of the existing F-15I squadron to this level) and the third F-35I squadron.
    A particularly interesting detail is written on mako about strengthening the UAV fleet. It is said that already now the Air Force has 6 operational UAV squadrons at 4 different bases and new ones will be created. And this despite the fact that until now it was known about 4 such squadrons at 2 bases (161st, 166th and 200th in Palmachim, 210th in Tel-Nof). The Red Baron squadron in Tel Nof may have been counted , but this is a training squadron for the German Air Force. Another candidate is Squadron No. 160 , formerly Cobra Squadron, disbanded on 08/02/13. According to Wikipedia, it was recreated in January 2000 at the Ramat David base, but what it is armed with is not said.

Appendix: Air Force 2030 according to Fresh data

User Fang on Fresh's website presented a picture of the Air Force's operational bases from south to north in 2030, taking into account the above information. In addition to the above, it says:

190 Squadron AH-64A at Ramon Base will be closed;
    107th F-16I Squadron relocated from Hatzerim to Ramon;
    in addition to the new F-15IA (or F-15IX) squadron, the existing F-15I squadron (69th) will be upgraded to the same level;
    106th F-15 Squadron at Tel Nof Base will be closed;
    the third F-35I squadron will be created at Tel Nof; a V-22 squadron will be created there, if a decision is made to purchase them, and the number of heavy transport helicopter squadrons will be reduced to 1.
    So, taking into account all this and omitting the auxiliary structures, they were described in the article "Israel Air Force Base" , taking into account the above changes (the creation of a new Air Traffic Control School in Ovda and the transfer of the Aviation School to Hatzerim), we have:

Ovda - 115th enemy imitation squadron;
    Ramon - 113 Squadron AH-64D, 4 Squadrons F-16I (107th, 119th, 201st and 253rd);
    Hatzerim - two squadrons F-15IA or F-15IX (new and modernized 69th); 102nd training squadron on M-346;
    Nevatim - 4 squadrons of heavy transport aviation (including tankers, reconnaissance aircraft and AWACS), 2 squadrons of F-35I (140th and 116th);
    Hatzor - 100th Light Transport Aviation Squadron, UAV squadron;
    Tel Nof - 133rd F-15 Squadron (mainly F-15D after modernization); third squadron F-35I; a squadron of heavy transport aircraft, UAV squadrons, possibly a V-22 squadron;
    Palmachim - 123rd, 124th and 193rd helicopter squadrons, as described above; UAV squadrons;
    Ramat David - 3 squadrons of F-16C / D "Barak" (101st, 105th and 109th); on my own I will add - most likely also UAV squadrons.

Links:
    Looking Forward: Organizational Changes Preparing the Air Force for the Future, Air Force website, 08/13/20 .
    Central changes in the Air Force efficiency and combat readiness program, IDF website, 08/13/20 .
    Air Force Increases Efficiency and Prepares for the Next Decade, Channel 7, 08/13/2020 .
    Air Force: Rise of Covert Operations in the North, ynet, 08/13/20 .
    Air Force: destroyed a third of the Syrian air defense in 2 years, maariv, 08/13/2020 .
    Thousands of bombs, hundreds of missiles: data from Syrian attacks disclosed, makorrishon, 08/13/20 .
    Clandestine attacks revealed: a third of Syrian air defenses destroyed, walla, 08/13/2020 .
    In only 2 years: the Air Force destroyed a third of the Syrian air defense, mako, 08/13/20 .
    Discussion on Fresh .

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4113797.html

Finty likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 am

Israel signed an agreement to acquire two KS-46A tanker aircraft

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4262529.html

Finty likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm

On February 25, 2021, the Israeli Defense Ministry announced its decision to purchase new American heavy transport helicopters Sikorsky (Lockheed Martin) CH-53K King Stallion to replace the existing fleet of Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion transport helicopters (designated Yasur in Israel).

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4265444.html

Finty likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:25 am