Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+35
GarryB
Ramos 2
JohninMK
d_taddei2
par far
Prince Darling
madball
sepheronx
AlfaT8
Werewolf
Hannibal Barca
magnumcromagnon
DisturbedOne93
mack8
George1
macedonian
medo
Cyberspec
TR1
etaepsilonk
zg18
As Sa'iqa
SOC
Corrosion
Zivo
Sujoy
Viktor
Austin
MIG31
flamming_python
nemrod
runaway
Admin
Russian Patriot
Robert.V
39 posters

Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Viktor
    Viktor

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 Empty Re: Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Post  Viktor Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Nice  thumbsup 

S-300 system Russia made for Syria may be offered to other customer
    George1
    George1

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 Empty Re: Russian arms supplies to Syria:

Post  George1 Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Minister of Foreign Affairs of Syria: Moscow will deliver S-300 air defense systems to Damascus
    Russian Aviaton » Tuesday November 11, 2014 16:20 MSK

Minister of Foreign Affairs of Syria Walid Muallem said that Russia would deliver S-300 air defense systems to Syria in the near term, RIA Novosti reports.

“We will take delivery of the systems and other high-quality weapons in the near term”, — Muallem said in his interview to Al-Akhbar. According to him, the deliveries have been postponed, because the parties have to settle a number of bureaucratic formalities first.
    Follow us on: Follow ruaviation on Twitter

Muallem explained that Syria asked for deliveries of S-300 systems, because the country is concerned about the plans of US president Barack Obama.

“We understand that due to internal reasons Obama is willing to avoid war with Syria and his anti-ISIL efforts are limited to airstrikes. We don’t know how Obama will act under increasing pressure, so we have to be prepared,” the minister said. “We asked Russia to deliver high-quality weapons to Syria,” Muallem said.

Earlier Moscow said that implementation of the contract for delivery of S-300 systems to Damascus has been put on hold.

On September 23rd 2014 USA with the assistance of its allies (including Arabian countries) started carrying out airstrikes against Islamic State terrorist group in Syria; similar operation was started in Iraq in August. At that USA carries out airstrikes without permission of Syrian government.

Washington supports the so-called “moderate opposition” in Syria, which is fighting against government and ISIL terrorist group. US president Barack Obama said that he would not use army to fight the extremists.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 am

Irkut Corporation: the contract for delivery of Yak-130 jets to Syria was put on hold
    Russian Aviaton » Tuesday May 5, 2015 10:51 MSK

Implementation of the contract for delivery of Yak-130 operational trainers to Syria was put on hold, the head of Irkut Corporation's delegation at LAAD-2015 exhibition held in Rio de Janeiro, Viktor Lichaev, told RIA Novosti.

This contract for delivery of 36 Yak-130 jets to Syrian air forces was signed several years ago.

“The contract was put on hold until clarification of political situation in the country. Anyway, we are ready to implement the contract,” Lichaev said.

He added: “The ball is in the court of our Syrian partners”.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Perhaps there is still hope thumbsup

Russian Security Council: Russia fulfills a contract for the supply of arms to Syria
    madball

Post  madball Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

Does anyone have any specification about the military equipment the Russians intend to send?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 pm

madball wrote:http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

Does anyone have any specification about the military equipment the Russians intend to send?

YAK-130 and S-300 are well known as for others we can only speculate. Probably Iskander too.
    Prince Darling

Post  Prince Darling Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 pm

supposedly the syrian mig 29s have been upgraded so they can conduct strikes during the night and guided missiles for the migs

but thats twitter sources, not 100% guarranted to be true
    par far

Post  par far Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm

madball wrote:http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-reiterates-russian-support-for-assads-syria-promises-aid/524586.html

I think they need help with their Air Force, so I could see them upgrading Su 25 and Mig 29(which some have already happened). The biggest thing that Syria needs is intellince and that is where I think Russia I'll help them. Russsia will likely send them other things like tanks(t 72), ammo and weapons and political suppport.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 am

par far wrote:

I think they need help with their Air Force, so I could see them upgrading Su 25 and Mig 29(which some have already happened). The biggest thing that Syria needs is intellince and that is where I think Russia I'll help them. Russsia will likely send them other things like tanks(t 72), ammo and weapons and political suppport.

Syria doesn't have Su-25's they have Su-24 which some have been upgraded to M2, they also have Mig-25 but no Su-25 but Su-25 would come in real handy right now for Syria. All their aircraft will need maintenance and could do with some upgrading, if somehow Russia could sell them Su-25 they would come in pretty handy. Another thing Syria is in desperate need of is well trained men on the ground,
    par far

Post  par far Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:00 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

Syria doesn't have Su-25's they have Su-24 which some have been upgraded to M2, they also have Mig-25 but no Su-25 but Su-25 would come in real handy right now for Syria. All their aircraft will need maintenance and could do with some upgrading, if somehow Russia could sell them Su-25 they would come in pretty handy. Another thing Syria is in desperate need of is well trained men on the ground,

Would be able to provide these well trained men?
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:08 am

par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

not sure who exactly but just stating that they need them, i suppose more Iranian republican guard would help, also one thing i have noticed here in the UK is the amount of people saying they want to get rid of ISIS but also think that the west supporting rebel/terrorists is wrong, you maybe Syrian army should start excepting volunteers from where ever just like the rebels and ISIS do, so on the back of this i dont doubt there is people around the world who would be willing to fight for the Syrian army/national defence.
    par far

Post  par far Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:25 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

not sure who exactly but just stating that they need them, i suppose more Iranian republican guard would help, also one thing i have noticed here in the UK is the amount of people saying they want to get rid of ISIS but also think that the west supporting rebel/terrorists is wrong, you maybe Syrian army should start excepting volunteers from where ever just like the rebels and ISIS do, so on the back of this i dont doubt there is people around the world who would be willing to fight for the Syrian army/national defence.

Sorry, I meant to say would Russia provide these well tranied men?
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:22 pm

par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say would Russia provide these well tranied men?

i am not sure if they could or not, not sure what sanctions have been imposed on the country and what Russia has agreed to, but if they did i am sure highly trained Russian soldiers would turn the tide in favour of the Syrian government, if they did the west still wouldnt send any troops as there is too much opposition from politicians and the public about sending boots on the ground, they wont even send them into Iraq.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Sending troops to Syria would be pretty unpopular in Russia too.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:37 pm

Russian-made UAVs in Syria

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 CKX8QjWUMAAWtmN

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 CKX8O9sVAAAEY1n

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 CKX8PoAUAAAFpiM
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 am

The company that makes those drones could easily be selling them commercially, and flight testing in a real combat zone would allow it to mature more quickly and at the same time help out an ally.

Nothing improves combat performance like combat experience...
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm

From Sputnik Arabic - seems that Russia send 6 out of 8 MiG-31 to Syrian Air Force thumbsup

LINK

Hopefully this implies that S-300 could be delivered soon too.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Another link also:

Russia Sends MiG-31 Jets to Syria - Media
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:03 pm

BTR-82A in Syria:
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1443859.html

George1 wrote:Another link also:

That supposed delivery (or existence of a contract) has unfortunately being debunked as we know from the RAC MiG statement.
    http://www.sputniknews.com/military/20150822/1026049778/no-mig-31-for-syria.html
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 pm

mack8 wrote:BTR-82A in Syria:

George1 wrote:Another link also:

That supposed delivery (or existence of a contract) has unfortunately being debunked as we know from the RAC MiG statement.
    http://www.sputniknews.com/military/20150822/1026049778/no-mig-31-for-syria.html
    Just being pedantic, the man at MiG said that they had not supplied them. The Russian MoD has not, AFAIK, commented on whether ex RuAF planes have been sent.
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:18 am

mack8 wrote:BTR-82A in Syria:

Nice!

GAZ Tigr also delivered to Syria

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 HD9frwO

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 RWVlikQ
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:00 am

Recently spotted cargo ship on Bosphorus strait , on route to Syria

http://turkishnavy.net/2015/08/22/update-the-cargo-on-russian-landing-ship-nikolay-filchenkov/

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 Nikolaifilchenkov_plan
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:29 pm

More BMP's and add in technical engineers with older T-55/62 tanks and convert them to heavy IFV's to make them effective. Maybe helicopters too and Su-25's and 24's. Syria needs what they can get. I think it is high time too to build a wall, separating syrian army controlled areas from the rest. And any pockets of resistence inbetween, deal with them.

Russia needs to send more to help Syria.
    Ramos 2

Russian arms supplies to Syria: - Page 5 Empty S-300 for Syria

Post  Ramos 2 Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Why is Russia not providing Syria with S-300 or similar?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 am

It is a forum rule that you post an introduction in the rules and introductions section, please do so now.

In answer to your question, the S-300 is not a magic weapon... the use against the US or Israel would only lead to an escalation that they can't win.

Much more useful would be small arms and ammunition and other kit like protective vests and armour and Su-25 like aircraft and hopefully UCAVs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:51 am